Built in 1879, the old schoolhouse is prominently situated where the village’s main streets meet: château, Church and school were pivotal to the social organisation of the community. At a time when Sohier formed an administrative unit together with Fays-Famenne and Froidlieu, the maison communale or ‘municipal hall’, where the local council met, was located over the schoolhouse. The architecture of this building, with its bourgeois appearance, reflects the importance of its function. It provided accommodation for the teacher and his family in addition to a single classroom which was shared by girls and boys, although they were segregated during playtime. One playground is to the right and the other to the left of the building, with separate toilets.
The height of the rooms and windows distinguishes the schoolhouse from contemporary homes, and reflects the desire to provide the occupants with plenty of light and air in keeping with the standards of the time, which also required the schoolmaster to be provided with a stable for his horse, a hayloft and a wood shed. The village school no longer exists, but the building is now used as a ‘laboratory of rural life’ – a rural educational resource centre.