It was probably circa 1408, following the Burgundian invasion and the destruction of the castle fort, that a stone house was built on the site to house the first bailiff, Jehan d'Avignon. Under the Old Regime, the bailiffs were officers of justice, delegates of the Prince-Bishop and holders of tax revenue. The era of the Bailiffs came to an end in 1745. Several owners ensued until 1970, when the municipality of Nismes acquired it to create a museum. Today, fully restored, the "Maison des Baillis" ("Bailiffs' House") has become the Maison du Parc naturel Viroin-Hermeton (House of the Viroin-Hermeton Nature Park) and the Maison de lUrbanisme de larrondissement de Philippeville (House of Town Planning for the District of Philippeville). In 2012, the Tourist Office also moved to this building.